LISTSERV Archives

STROMBUS-L Home

STROMBUS-L  May 2017

STROMBUS-L May 2017

Re: Unusual egg mass morphology

"Glazer, Bob" <[log in to unmask]>

Queen conch fisheries, management, conservation, aquaculture, restoration" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 May 2017 16:32:32 +0000

text/plain

Jennifer

This is similar to the egg mass found yesterday, except that the 'naked' egg strand was more translucent (that is, it didn’t have any sand associated with it.)  The rest of the egg mass was covered with sand as yours shows.   Also, in our case, our biologist, Einat, said that she found the egg mass under the conch so it is unlikely that something disturbed it.  In the case of the John Lloyd State Park conch (near Port Everglades), almost every egg mass was entirely devoid of sand despite being found on a coarse-sand plain.

Robert Glazer

Research Scientist

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

Fish and Wildlife Research Institute

2796 Overseas Highway, Ste. 119

Marathon, FL 33050 USA

***NEW 305-676-3230 ***